Friday, December 5, 2008

Currently Reading


I finished Middlemarch a few months ago, and a day or so ago I remembered that I have completely forgotten to keep up with what I'm currently reading. Since Middlemarch, I have read the Twilight series for the second time (yes, I know I'm obsessed) and I've picked up three different books, but I didn't finish any of them - I just couldn't get into them. Finally, after searching through our library for the right book, I came across one that interested me.
The book is The Last Gentleman by Walker Percy. I read the book for my Southern Literature class (which was one of the best classes I took in my college career- Dr. McAlexander is the BEST!). I realized that I didn't remember much about this book besides the basics. The book was the last book we were assigned to read before the final, so I'm sure I probably rushed through it and absorbed very little.
I have been really interested in all things New York since our trip in October and I remembered that the novel is set in New York City in the late 1960s. The novel is a post-modern tale of a young, southern man living in the city. I'm only a little ways in, but I'm starting to remember some of the reasons why the book is worth a second read. Instead of writing long-winded paragraphs, naming what I like and dislike about the book, I will give the four main reasons I feel the book is wonderful.
1. The main character in the book is in his 20s, and I find his perspective on just about everything intriguing.
2. All of Percy's characters have little idiosyncrasies that make them fun to read about.
3. Percy touches on all of the important issues-love, religion, identity, etc.-in an entertaining, refreshing way. The novel is not self-important.
3. Percy does a great job creating an atmosphere in which experience and thought mean nothing and everything at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...guess who added your blog to her reader...

I may have to read this book. I've been looking for a fun read.