Sunday, August 16, 2009

We Live In Burrrrnesville

We spent our last week before David starts Fall semester visiting the Asheville area with our friends, Jonathan and Milan. Jonathan and his parents were kind enough to let us all stay in their amazing mountain home.

We spent the first day driving to North Carolina. We stopped in Asheville and walked around the downtown area. Asheville's architecture is beautiful.






We had dinner at a great little seafood pub. Then we headed to the mountains.


Jonathan showed us around the community and then took us to the neatest tree house, ever! It's on the top of the mountain.


It's several stories with a little living area at the top. It had a little bed and a little iron stove and little shelves. I was pretty excited.


After the tree house, Jonathan took us to his home where we watched the sun set from the porch.


Day two began with beautiful morning mist.


We lazed around, went for lunch at the mountaintop clubhouse, and then . . . I got to hold Cornelius the albino corn snake in the clubhouse nature center.


After lunch we took a short hike that had to be cut short because of the oncoming downpour.
We spent the rest of the evening looking at the views and playing air hockey and pool in the clubhouse game room.



On day three we spent the morning in a pretty little "secret" park. It had a working water wheel, a little pond full of rainbow trout, and beautiful flowers.


Then we headed back to Asheville and toured the city and had yummy cupcakes!





We did a lot of walking - I was tired.


We decided to take the scenic tour home, on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's pretty amazing. It has the best views of the Blue Ridge Mountains I've ever seen.


The sunset was unbelievable.


We decided to resume our hike on our final morning.
Milan decided not to go - I think she must have caught wind of some plan Jonathan and David hatched to murder me. The path on the old growth forest loop was the path from hell.
It started out innocently enough.


But then it began to get a little too vertical for me.
This is me about to have a heart attack.
Nice plan, you two.



At least we got to see some amazing views and I counted the hike as one of my runs for the week - I promise, it's not cheating!


We loaded up the cars and headed back to Georgia. These three start school tomorrow. I feel like this was our farewell tour for the next four months. I don't expect to see them between the hours of 8am and 9pm, but maybe I will just have to tag along during studio time like I did this summer. Thanks again Jonathan and Milan for a great weekend!

3 comments:

sug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sug said...

love your sunset shots.;)

p.s. see you in 4 days!

Natalie said...

This trip looks like it was so much fun. And I love all of the photos. Absolutely gorgeous.