Friday, March 6, 2009

Currently Reading



So I originally bought this book for one of my favorite college classes. I'm sure I've mentioned Dr. McAlexander's Southern Literature course before. I won't go into how much I love him again, but I will say that I really love this book! It is titled A Modern Southern Reader and it's an anthology of short stories, poetry and essays written by modern Southern authors. We read several selections while I was taking the class, but I haven't picked it up in a while. This time around I've read "Children on Their Birthdays" by Truman Capote and "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall" by Katherine Anne Porter. They are wonderful. Both authors are able to create memorable characters that embody the idea of the modern South, while still conjuring iconic southern imagery. The poetry is also really well done. I like John Crowe Ransom, in particular. Great read with lots to think about!

No comments: