Monday, March 2, 2009

On a Snowy Evening

Excuse me, I have an announcement to make.
In case you haven't heard, it actually SNOWED in Athens!

David I went to church Sunday morning, hearing the rumors of snow showers for the evening, but not really holding our breath. This is Athens, after all. As I sat in church, I heard one of my friends whisper "It's snowing" and run to the window to open the blinds. And it was snowing! But me being the pessimist that I am, was like "It won't actually stick or last long enough to cancel work Monday".
So I headed home after church and snapped a few pictures while I waited for David to come home, thinking I should get some pictures before it all melts.




David came home and we took a nap, and when we woke up, there was at least 3-4 inches of snow on the ground! I was finally able to believe that we were actually going to have a significant snowfall. We got really excited and decided to bundle up and head outside to play. I made David take the lids off of two of our storage bins, to serve as makeshift sleds, and we headed out into the white.

My first, wobbly steps in the snow.


My handsome hubby with our makeshift sled, which he later broke.

We walked all over north campus, noticing how beautiful all of the old buildings look covered in a blanket of white.

I'm looking a little scary in all of the pictures.
The coat I'm wearing is 3 sizes too big, and I got hot
and had to tie my sweater around my waist, and my hair is
reaching that tangled-mess-under-the-hat point,
but oh well-it was snowing and Herty Field looked gorgeous!

After Herty Field, we headed to the Founder's Garden. We had our wedding reception there almost three years ago. It is especially beautiful in the springtime with all of the flowers in bloom, but the snow produced a completely different, special kind of beauty.




So lovely

Walking around north campus was fun, but also dangerous! Every few minutes we could hear the limbs breaking off of the trees under the weight of the snow.

This tree was hanging very low to the ground.


After the Founder's Garden we headed to one of my favorite places in Athens - Park Hall.
It's funny how we only remember the good memories.


By the time we left Park Hall, my pants and boots were starting to soak through, so we decided to head back home. On the way, I thought it might be fun to try to catch snowflakes in my mouth.

Apparently, it's not such a great idea when the snowflakes
are the same size as your face.

We had a wonderful snow day and a relaxing Monday off! I love snow.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of these pictures!!! I am so sad that Josh and I weren't around to play in the snow with you :).

Anonymous said...

Me too, Natalie! I kept telling David that as we walked around -"I wish Josh and Natalie were here!" We missed you guys!