Thursday, April 9, 2009

Currently Reading


Thanks to my lovely friend Stephanie, I am currently reading this wonderful book. The Glass Castle is by Jeannette Walls and is a memoir of her crazy life growing up. I find her stories so intriguing, because growing up with a parent or parents who suffer from mental illness is such a singular thing. Many of her stories are beautiful and very often funny, but as Walls tells them, you sense the pain of remembrance.
I really love the story early on, when they're driving through the desert in their car, and they drive over railroad tracks. The car is so old and rickety, the door flies open and Walls rolls out. She comes to and realizes that her parents don't know that she has fallen out. She has to wait several minutes, when finally she sees the car coming back for her. The story is funny, but you also understand the state of their family in this scene.
I wasn't sure if I would love this book, like I love David Sedaris' tales, but Walls' stories are engaging, meaningful and like Sedaris, they bring to the surface my memories of my family and the idea that all lives are a mixture of beauty and pain.
Thanks Steph. I'm really enjoying it.

2 comments:

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying The Glass Castle. I read it last summer for book group and enjoyed it, too, although the second half was harder to read than the first.

May I also recommend three more books? The Book Thief has incredible imagery and is very touching; Run by Ann Patchett (I reviewed it on my blog a few weeks ago) was a great read and very thought provoking; and Broken for You by Stephane Kallos is enchanting.

kimberly said...

I couldn't have described this book better - you just named all the reasons I loved it. Enjoy!