Friday, April 17, 2009

Yum

I hosted a How-To Cook with Herbs Enrichment at my place last night and it was lots of fun! I don't know how we did it, but we somehow managed to squeeze 11 girls into my tiny kitchen for the cooking demo. I made a quiche with thyme and it was so delicious; I thought I would share the recipe here!


Yellow Squash and Mozzarella Quiche with Thyme

Ingredients:

1 frozen pie shell

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 yellow squash
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

2 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream (David and I usually use 2% milk for a healthier version)
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper

Preparation:

Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add squash and thyme. Sauté until squash is just tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Whisk eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and hot sauce in bowl. Arrange squash over bottom of pie shell. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Pour egg mixture into shell, filling completely (some egg mixture may be left over).

Bake quiche until filling is golden and set in center, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack; cool 15 minutes.

*The original recipe is from Epicurious, but I made several modifications (like store-bought crust) to make the recipe simpler.

David and I love quiche, and this is probably the best one I've ever made.
The combination of squash and thyme always makes me think of spring and summer.
This was yum!

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

Perfect! If I'd checked your blog before sending you an email, I would already have the recipe! Sad I couldn't come!

Natalie said...

OH my goodness...this was so so so so SOOOOOOOOOO heavenly. Morgan you are amazing and thanks for the fabulous enrichment :)

Jared and Katy said...

Thanks again for teaching us so many things about herbs and the quiche (*spelling) was very yummy!