Friday, April 3, 2009

Fuggets



David and I usually have a daily chat about what we want for dinner. Yesterday, David said we should have chicken nuggets. I had to ask for clarification as to what he meant, since we haven't had chicken in over a year. He explained that he had picked up some faux chicken nuggets from the store.
Since our foray into vegetarianism, I have developed a liking for veggie and soy burgers and hotdogs, but I have been a bit wary of faux chicken.
David baked the nuggets and I hesitantly took a bite . . .
They were WAY BETTER than any other chicken nugget I have ever had!
They were not fatty or greasy like real chicken nuggets, but they have a taste and texture that is identical to good chicken.
I wondered what they were made of, so David got the box and we took a peek.
The company is called Quorn, and they use all natural products, but no soy.
Instead, these tasty nuggets are made of several types of FUNGI.
They are a source of complete protein and 9 amino acids. They have no cholesterol and very little fat.

We ate them all for dinner (it's a small box, only about 12 nuggets total) and then sat around inventing alternative names for the product.
I said they should be called "Fuggets". Fungal nuggets = Fuggets. Then David suggested a few names. This is what we do on weeknights.

So if you are looking for a great alternative to chicken nuggets, try Fuggets.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I will have to try these because meat has been grossing me out lately. I bought some Smart Dogs or whatever they're called from Publix the other day. Have you had those? They're hot dogs made out of vegetables. I HATED IT! It is the nastiest thing I have ever eaten. I actually spit it out it was so gross. I actually really like veggie and soy burgers so I thought it would be the same thing. I was wrong. :(

Natalie said...

Fuggets---love it! Seriously...you should write the company and charge them millions of dollars to use your name for them. Road to the riches...I promise.